T he James H. Delaney & Son Funeral Home was established in December of 1959, at the corner of Common Street and School Street, one block from the center of Walpole.
The building was finished in 1900, after moving the building presently being used as the Law Offices of Richard Gallivan and Joseph Santos, was moved from Common Street to 128 School Street. The Delaneys added the back addition in 1970, and the front portico in 1976, to better serve the public. James H. Delaney ran the business until it was sold to his son Jay Delaney on July 27th, 1987. We remain family owned and operated.
James H. Delaney was born in Walpole and has been a life long resident, except for the time he served his country during WWII in the 101st Infantry Regiment, 26th Yankee Division. He married Ellen B. Moran in 1950, together they have 4 children: Jay, Kathy, Jeanne, and Mary. The children all live in the area, with Jay the only one still in Walpole. They have six grandchildren.
Mr. Delaney graduated from Walpole High School, from the New England Institute of Embalming, and was granted a funeral director's license in 1959.
James F. 'Jay' Delaney has been a life long resident of Walpole, having graduated from Walpole High School with the Class of 1972. He graduated from the New England Institute Of Embalming with the class of 1977. In the Fall of 1977, he was granted his Embalmer's License and in the spring of 1978 was granted his Funeral Director's License. Having completed his training in school, Jay went to work at O'Connor Brothers Funeral Home in Worcester, in order to get a different perspective on the funeral business.
Jay left the family business for awhile and worked for almost 8 years with Whirlpool Corporation, he spent some time in the Portland, Maine office and then came back to Boston as the branch operations manager. Jay left that position in April of 1987 and bought the funeral home from his father on July 27, 1987.